New York City is the most strategic city in the world for church planting. Statistics can only begin to convey how strategic NYC really is. We encourage you to come for a visit and walk among the millions that call the Big Apple home. In attempts to help you see the strategic nature of NYC here are a few mind boggling and sobering facts:
- 800 languages are spoken in the NY Metro Area. This reality alone is stunning and sobering in light of God’s global purposes.
- For the church per-person ratio in NYC to mirror that of a typical southern state, we need well over 20,000 churches planted in NYC.
- New York City is considered by many the capital of the world with her far reaching influence in culture, finance, entertainment, education and art (among other areas).
- 22+ million people call the NY Metro area home.
- 8.5 million people live in New York City proper.
- On average, 66,000 people live every square mile in Manhattan.
- 40% of Brooklyn is foreign born.
Further, if you believe in finding where God is at work and joining him there consider these facts:
- The evangelical population in City-Center Manhattan has grown from 1% to 3% in the last 20 years.
- 40% of the evangelical churches that exist in City-Center Manhattan have been planted since 9/11.
- While the evangelical church is in decline in many places in North America, God is at work and the church is advancing in New York City.
Simply put, it would be a great tragedy if Christians and the evangelical churches in North America neglect planting churches in New York City.